MACCHERONI AL FERRO RAGÙ “BLACK TRUFFLE”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1/4 CUP EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 2 TBSP BUTTER
- 2 CARROTS, FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 MEDIUM ONIONS, FINELY CHOPPED
- 4 STOCKS OF CELERY, FINELY CHOPPED
- 6 GARLIC CLOVES, FINELY SLICED
- 1 POUND CHOPPED BROWN MUSHROOMS
- 1 CUP DRY MIXED MUSHROOM CHOPPED ( SEE NOTE )
- 6 OZ TOMATO PASTE
- 1/2 CUP SOAKED CASHEW ( SEE NOTE )
- 1/2 CUP MISHA’S BLACK TRUFFLE CHEESE
- 1 CUP DRY WHITE WINE
- 1/4 CUP PARSLEY LEAVES, CHOPPED
- KOSHER SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
In a 6 to 8-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and garlic and sweat over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent and soft but not browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add mushrooms and stir into the vegetables. Cook over medium high heat until browned 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Deglaze with wine and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Add in the soaked cashew cream along with the Black Truffle cheese and chopped parsley.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm until ready to serve.
The sauce can also be stored in an airtight container for 1 week in the fridge or frozen for up to 6 months.
Dry mushrooms should be reconstituted in liquid (add dry mushrooms to a small bowl with enough water to cover). Once mushrooms are softened remove from liquid and chop.
Soak 1/4 cup of cashews in water overnight, transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth.