Prep Time: 45minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
11 oz baby spinach
3 large eggs lightly beaten or (Plant based egg)
1 lb. Mishas’s ricotta cheese
2 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp lemon zest
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
2 tsp fresh parsley chopped
2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
2 sticks unsalted butter melted, divided
1 16 oz package phyllo dough defrosted (18 sheets, 13"x18")
3 teaspoons sesame seeds
Make the spanakopita filling
- . Preheat oven to 350 F. Place spinach in a food processor and pulse until just roughly chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs, ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and herbs, then mix well. Set aside.
- Set up your workstation. Place the spanakopita filling and 1 stick of melted butter on your work surface.
- Assemble spanakopita spirals. Unroll phyllo dough. Working with one sheet at a time, brush on 2-3 Tbsp melted butter
- Quickly add another sheet of phyllo dough and repeat with butter. Top with a third sheet of phyllo and then spoon on ¼-½ cup of filling along the bottom (long side) of the dough into a long thin line, leaving an inch of space on either end.
- Fold the dough over the filling, then roll the phyllo into a log. Carefully work the log into a spiral and transfer to a large skillet.
- Brush reserved melted butter and sprinkle sesame seeds on top, then bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy. Serve immediately.