Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 tablespoon cooking oil, of preference
3 clove garlic, minced
1 small white onion, diced
2 tablespoons cilantro stems (chopped)
4 green onions (chopped)
1 medium carrot (diced)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) green chiles
½ cup black beans
½ cup corn
⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
⅛ teaspoon cumin
⅛ teaspoon chili powder
5 cups stock
4 corn tortillas(torn in small pieces)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
kosher salt to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil (more or less as needed for frying)
5 corn tortillas (cut into ribbons about 1/2-inch wide or so)
8 oz Mishias 7.5 cheese
fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a medium sauce pot over a medium heat, add oil, garlic and onion. Cook until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add cilantro stems, green onions and carrots saute 3-5 mins over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until all ingredients are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add torn tortilla pieces and cheese to allow to heat through.
- With an immersion blender , puree soup to desired consistency, add lime juice, salt and pepper.
- When the soup is almost ready, heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a deep saucepan to approximately 360 F.
- Cook tortilla strips in batches until crispy–just a few seconds for each batch. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate Season with salt